Day one:
We began the hike in a dry, hot valley, on a sunny, dusty road.
By early afternoon we could see a large mountain in the distance, which we would reach by noon the next day.
We walked until quite late in the day. The sun had disappeared from the valley, and it was getting very cold. My feet hurt, and I was exhausted. On straight portions of the road I would close my heavy eyelids. I had a headache, probably because of the altitude. I dragged myself into camp, which was here:
Incredible. I stayed awake long enough to take a few pictures and eat dinner. I groggily admired the stars on the way to my tent, only to find that my rented sleeping bag was not adequate for the cold. After about an hour I had done some crunches and rubbed my feet until they were warm and was wearing fleece pants, wool socks, polyester shirt, fleece jacket, a hat, and I was completely bundled into the bag, not even an air hole. It was not a restful night, and most of the morning was spent dreaming of looking for a bathroom.
Day two:
This sign originally said that I was at 3800 meters, but it had been crossed out and 4100 meters had been written in. I don't know which is correct.

I've spent the last hour trying to crop these photos in both google docs and open office draw. Do get this result I moved them from google draw, to open office draw, to open office presentation, to pdf, cropped them finally, and saved as jpg. It took me over an hour. You better appreciate it.
I made it! Some sources say the pass is at 4700 meters. I did have to go slowly, the faster I went the more of a headache I got. I just didn't have enough red blood cells to carry oxygen to both and my muscles. I got a little irritated with the guide on the way up. He had gone on ahead with the rest of the group and came back to tell me and one other guy to pick up our pace because people were waiting at the top and it was cold. I felt that he should have gathered everyone together before the final stretch to avoid that situation. Because of that we ended up paying to ride horses to the top, even though I was capable of doing it myself.
On the way down the other side of the pass there were rocks covered in red lichen, which looked pretty cool.
We had lunch on the other side of the pass, and pretty quickly we were surrounded by lush green hills and a welcomely warm day. We reached camp around four and had a relaxing evening watching dogs and chickens run around the yard.
Day three:
As we descended the day got warmer and warmer. There were bromeliads and orchids, and fuzzy white caterpillars. My blisters where really hurting that day so I spent most of the time walking alone. Since I wasn't going to catch the group anyway, I took my time and got a lot more photos than I had been able to take on previous days.
These white caterpillars were hanging from the trees. I don't do well with things associated with webs, but I tried to take pictures of it. I ended up with out of focus fuzzy white things. Luckily I found one on the ground later and got a shot that way. They look soft, but one of the guys there leaned against one on the back of a bench once and it left a large welt across his back.
We ended the day at Santa Theresa hot springs, where heavy streams of water flow off the pools to form a line of showers. It was heavenly.
Day four:
This day was by far the easiest. I had been freed from the tyranny of my hiking boots by the level railroad tracks that we were walking on. There was an aqua river flowing in the valley, and bird calls emanated from the dense forest.
From this bridge we could see the edge of Machu Picchu on the ridge line above us.
| Old walls along the river. |
| Another crazy caterpillar. |
| We all had the take pictures of the caterpillar. |
After only three hours of walking we reached the town of Aquas Calientes at the base of Machu Picchu. It was raining but warm, and we are all happy to see our rooms with real beds. We all went to bed early in preparation for our 4:10 start time in the morning.

No comments:
Post a Comment